Thursday, January 04, 2007

Check Mate



Check Mate
5"x7" Oil on Gessoed Board

This is as you can see a work in progress. Here are two stages showing a little of the sketching process.

In the progress you will see a variety of approaches I use for a painting. This one as the one before this (Waiting for the Master) I am sketching out the composition before actually applying color.

I am doing this because of the perspective involved. At this stage I am mainly concerned about the central figures the chess pieces themselves. I'm not happy with the chess board but at present its nothing to be too concerned about as I have established a strong start and the problem areas are easily corrected in the next few stages.

Some people use the old phrase I feel Like a King.... I wonder how many feel like this King?

This thought sparked the Idea for this painting... "Check Mate"!

More to come!

Mark

5 Comments:

Blogger Lori McNamara said...

The poor king! Maybe you can do a companion piece with the queen as the central character, title could be "Gotcha!"

Looks like a great start.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Margaret Aycock said...

mark
I just joined the group and would like to share links with some of you. would you be willing to check out my site and possibly trade links?
Margaret Aycock

11:08 AM  
Blogger MBStudios said...

Thank you, and I am planning a few others centered around various pieces.
I will be posting updates today. It is really coming together and I was right, I am really enjoying this one.

Of course I usually enjoy them all but some are just that more fun.

Mark

1:33 PM  
Blogger MBStudios said...

Margaret I would be happy to put your link on my site. I will try and get around to it later today.

Welcome to the group!

Mark

1:36 PM  
Blogger epoq said...

The finished composition is beautiful, but I love this line art.

It is true "Heavy is the Head that Wears the Crown" in these instances.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home